FBC has a long history in the Clemson community. Explore this page to learn more about important moments in our past!
1907: Clemson College Baptist Church is organized.
1909: Rev. Thomas V. McCaul becomes the first pastor. Services are held in the College Chapel.
1910: The first Women’s Missionary Unit [WMU] is organized.
1913: The first church building, seating 500 people, is dedicated.
1913: The first Sunday School is organized.
1932: The first Baptist Student Union [BSU] Council begins to function.
1940: The first building expansion is completed.
1944: Harold Cole comes as the first Baptist Campus Minister.
1951: The church name is changed to Clemson Baptist Church.
1964: A 1,000 seat sanctuary with additional educational space is completed and dedicated.
1965: Ron Whitlock comes as the first Minister of Music and Youth.
1971: The church changes the requirement for deacon eligibility to include all adults 21 years and older who have been members for at least one year.
1973: Sarah Cooper becomes the first ordained female Deacon.
1974: A constitution is adopted, establishing a committee style of governance. The deacon eligibility age becomes 18.
1974: The name of the church is changed to First Baptist Church of Clemson.
1975: The church votes to accept members from other denominations who have previous baptism experiences.
1978: A Baptist Student Center is built near campus and BSU activities are moved out of our church.
1980: Sanford Beckett comes as the first Minister of Education and Singles.
1987: English as a Secondary Language classes begin to be freely offered to the community.
1991: The church becomes a member of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. Amy Jacks Dean becomes the first ordained female minister and the first Minister of Students and Singles.
1994: The first mission trip to build houses in Honduras is taken.
1999: Mary Smith comes as the first Children’s Coordinator.
1999: The original church building is razed.
2001: The Child Enrichment Center begins operating.
2004: The Cooperative Student Fellowship (CSF) is organized and recognized by the University as an official campus organization.
2005: Construction on the newest addition begins in September.
2006: Construction and renovation is completed in November, with a community Open House Celebration on December 10.
2007: Our centennial year is celebrated with many special events. Rusty Brock is installed as the 16th pastor. A Strategic Plan for Mission is developed and implemented.
2011: A Community-wide Basketball Camp for children is offered in the Family Life Center.
2012: A Church-wide Visioning Process is undertaken.
2013: A new governance structure is adopted and implemented.
397 College Avenue
Clemson, SC 29631
Office Phone: 864-654-2347